Browse Items (10 total)

St Matthew’s Roman Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Pontville. The sandstone church originally opened in 1876 but it has rebuilt in 1928 following a fire the previous year. It is in the Gothic Revival style with buttresses, lancet…

St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church is in the suburb of Glenorchy in Hobart, Tasmania. It was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) in 1839. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir John Franklin (1786-1847) in 1839…

The Window of Roman-era Saints is in the south wall of St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart. The large pointed arch window with stonework tracery is made up of three lancet windows with stained glass. Each lancet window features a Saint…

This stained glass window is one of many in the Cloisters of St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart. It is a memorial to Charles Henry Bromby (1814-1907), Bishop of Tasmania from 1864-1882. The tracery window features lancet windows of Sts Alban…

St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart, was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907)in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style, with further revisions in 1891. As the foundation stone for the Cloisters and Tower were not laid…

The baptismal font in St David’s Cathedral, Hobart, was made by local craftsmen to the design of English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907). The cathedral was designed in 1865 by Bodley. Like the cathedral, the baptismal font is in…

St Mary’s College is a day school for girls is located beside St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral in Hobart, Tasmania. The opening of the college was instigated by Bishop Daniel Murphy (1815-1907) in 1866 when he invited his sister Mother Superior…

This Congregational Church is in the town of Richmond, Tasmania. It was built in 1873 after the previous church, built in 1844, was damaged in a storm. The sandstone building is in the Gothic Revival style with buttresses, and a pointed arch doorway…