St Maryâ€™s College, Hobart, Tasmania
Buttress, Catholic, education, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Hobart, Henry Hunter, lancet window, St Maryâ€™s Cathedral, St Maryâ€™s College, Daniel Murphy, niche, lancet windows, pointed arch, Presentation Sisters, school, Tas, Tasmania, tower, tracery.
St Maryâ€™s College is a day school for girls is located beside St Maryâ€™s Catholic Cathedral in Hobart, Tasmania. The opening of the college was instigated by Bishop Daniel Murphy (1815-1907) in 1866 when he invited his sister Mother Superior Francis Murphy and four other Presentation Sisters to Hobart from Ireland. The school opened in February 1868. The original convent and school rooms were designed by architect Henry Hunter (1832-1892) and are still in use. The school is still administered by the Presentation Sisters. The large convent building (photograph one and two) includes Gothic features such as the pointed arch doorway, buttresses, pointed arch windows with tracery on the third storey, and three lancet windows in the tower. The smaller school building (photograph three) is in the Gothic Revival style and includes corner buttresses and groups of three lancet windows.
October 6, 2012
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Digital Photograph; JPEG