This stained glass window is one of many in the Cloisters of St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart. It is a memorial to Charles Henry Bromby (1814-1907), Bishop of Tasmania from 1864-1882. The tracery window features lancet windows of Sts Alban and Columba. St Alban was martyred in 3rd century Britain during Roman rule, and is suitably dressed in the window as a Roman soldier. However he carries a kite shield used in medieval Europe primarily in the 10th to 12th centuries. St Columba (521-597), also known as Colm Cille, was an early medieval Irish missionary monk who preached to the Picts in what is now Scotland. He established the monastery at Iona in the Inner Hebrides of western Scotland. St David’s Anglican Cathedral was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907), Bishop Bromby’s brother-in-law, in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style, with further revisions in 1891. As the foundation stone for the Cloisters and Tower were not laid until 1892 they are likely to have been part of those revisions. They were completed and consecrated in 1936, long after the nave had been consecrated in 1874.
For the artefacts inside the cloisters see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1160
For the Cathedral interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1198