St David’s Cathedral interior, Hobart, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

St David’s Cathedral interior, Hobart, Tasmania

Subject

Prince Alfred, altar, Anglican, George Frederick Bodley, column, font, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Hobart, Henry Hunter, pointed arch, rood screen, St David’s Cathedral, stained glass, Tas, Tasmania, tracery, vaulted ceiling.

Description

St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style. The foundation stone was laid in 1868 by Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the nave was consecrated in 1874. The work was supervised by Henry Hunter (1832-1892). The photographs show the nave, aisles, and sanctuary of the cathedral, as well as a small internal pointed arch door and doorway (photograph three), demonstrating that the Gothic style was carried through to utilitarian features. Photographs one and two show the elevation of the cathedral achieved with columns supporting pointed arches with molding, and the vaulted ceiling. Also visible is the large stained glass east window with stone tracery above the high altar, and numerous smaller stained glass windows. Other fatures of note in photographs one and two are the Bodley designed stone font and timber rood screen, the latter being installed in 1916.

George Bodley was a well-known architect working in the Gothic Revival style, and in particular he was influenced by late medieval architecture from England and northern Europe. His best known work is perhaps Magdalen College, Oxford.

For more on St David's Cathedral see the 'Relation' section.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

October 6, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

3xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St David’s Cathedral interior, Hobart, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed January 19, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1198.