Browse Items (122 total)

St Andrew’s Church of England (Anglican) is opposite the Village Green in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. The foundation stone was laid in 1836 by Lieutenant George Arthur (1784-1854) and the sandstone brick church was first used in 1841.…

This church hall is adjacent to St Mark’s Anglican Church in the northern Tasmanian town of Deloraine. The brick building includes corner buttresses ending in towers at the front of the hall and the porch. The concrete tower gives the impression of…

This large stained glass window featuring three figures from the Old Testament is on the northern wall of St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart. It was created by the firm Burlison and Grylls and installed in the Cathedral in 1872. Each of the…

St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart, was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907)in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style, with further revisions in 1891. As the foundation stone for the Cloisters and Tower were not laid…

Holy Trinity Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. The building of the bluestone church began in 1869 under the direction of the town’s first resident Catholic priest, Father James Hogan (1825-1899), who had arrived in 1850.…

St Luke’s Church is in the small town of Bothwell in Tasmania. Built by the government, St Luke’s originally held combined services for Anglicans and Presbyterians, before the Anglicans built their own church in 1891. It is now a Uniting…

The square bell tower of St David’s Cathedral, Hobart, was completed in 1936 after the foundation stone had been laid in 1892. The cathedral was designed in 1865 by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907), and the tower may have…

This small round tower is part of the Military Complex at the penal colony of Port Arthur, Tasmania. The complex is situated in a prominent position overlooking the harbour. It is the third military complex on the site and was built in 1847, with the…