Browse Items (122 total)

The Military Complex at the penal colony of Port Arthur, Tasmania, is situated in a prominent position overlooking the harbour. It is the thirdmilitary complex on the site and was built in 1847, with the central tower built in 1836. Both were built…

The well preserved Guard Tower at Port Arthur, Tasmania, was a central part of the penal colony’s Military Complex. The tower was built in 1836 during the rule of Commandant Charles O’Hara Booth (1800-1851). It was built with convict…

The foundation stone for the Convict Church at the former penal settlement of Port Arthur, Tasmania, was laid by Lieutenant Governor George Arthur (1784-1854) in 1836. The church was possibly designed by the Deputy Commissariat Officer Thomas…

The foundation stone for the Convict Church at the former penal settlement of Port Arthur, Tasmania, was laid by Lieutenant Governor George Arthur (1784-1854) in 1836. The church was possibly designed by the Deputy Commissariat Officer Thomas…

This building is at 38 Davey Street in central Hobart. It is at the rear of Parliament House and is part of the proposed Parliament Square redevelopment. The building adjoins the former St Mary’s Hospital building and early photographs show that it…

St Joseph’s Catholic Church is on the corner of MacQuarie and Harrington Streets in Hobart, Tasmania. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1840 and it was opened by Fr. John Joseph Therry (1790-1864) on Christmas day, 1841.…

Kodak House is in the Elizabeth Street mall in central Hobart. The top of the narrow five storey building has two narrow ‘towers’ on each end with a crenelated parapet running between them. In the centre is a shield bearing a ‘K’. The upper…

Flamingos Dance Bar at 201 Liverpool Street, Hobart, is in a medieval-inspired building. It has the appearance of a small fortification or castle, with a central tower and six fortified turrets. The brick building is topped by a crenelated parapet,…