St Joseph’s Catholic Church is on the corner of MacQuarie and Harrington Streets in Hobart, Tasmania. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1840 and it was opened by Fr. John Joseph Therry (1790-1864) on Christmas day, 1841. The tower was completed in 1843 and a side chapel added in 1877. It was the principal Catholic church in Tasmania until St Mary’s Cathedral was completed in 1866, so Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866), was installed there when he arrived from England in 1844. The church was designed by ex-convict Alexander Thompson (1805-1860), and it was built using convict labour. It is in the Gothic Revival style with pointed arch windows and doorways, buttresses, a crenelated parapet on top of the tower, lancet windows, and pointed corner finials on the tower and the side of the church.
For the interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1129
For more on St Joseph’s see http://www.passionistshobart.org.au/