The well preserved Guard Tower at Port Arthur, Tasmania, was a central part of the penal colony’s Military Complex. The tower was built in 1836 during the rule of Commandant Charles O’Hara Booth (1800-1851). It was built with convict labour, and the stones were shaped by the boys at the nearby Point Puer Juvenile Establishment. The guard tower is in a prominent elevated position and resembles a medieval castle tower with its crenelated parapet.
For the Military Complex see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1142