The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866, supervised by Henry Hunter (1832-1892). It was opened by Willson's successor Bishop Daniel Murphy(1815-1907). However the building was found to be faulty and had to be largely dismantled and rebuilt to a modified design by Hunter between 1876 and 1881. The sandstone building is in the Gothic Revival style with blind arcading, buttresses, a rose window, niches, pointed arch doorways and windows (with tracery), pointed finials, lancet windows. The tower of the original cathedral did not survive the redesign. The extension to the right of the cathedral was added in 2010.
For the interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1140
For the Norman font see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1133