The former St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church is in the suburb of Glenorchy in Hobart, Tasmania. The church is in the Romanesque Revival style and is one of the earliest remaining Romanesque Revival buildings in Australia. The style is evident in the rear window of the church, made up of three narrow windows featuring tracery with semi-circular arches, above which are two small circular windows. The window frame also has a semi-circular arch, with columns and capitals on either side of the window.
St Matthew’s was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) in 1839. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir John Franklin (1786-1847) in 1839 and the church was built by the Hobart company Kirk and Fisher and completed in 1841.
Romanesque Revival architecture is sometimes referred to as Neo-Norman due to the Normans influence in spreading the Romanesque style through England after their conquest in 1066.
For more of the building see