(Former) St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church entrance, Glenorchy, Hobart, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

(Former) St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church entrance, Glenorchy, Hobart, Tasmania

Subject

James Blackburn, blind arcading, columns, convict, John Franklin, Glenorchy, Hobart, Kirk and Fisher, Neo-Norman, Presbyterian, Romanesque, Romanesque Revival, semi-circular arch, Tas, Tasmania.

Description

The former St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church is in the suburb of Glenorchy in Hobart, Tasmania. It was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) in 1839. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir John Franklin (1786-1847) in 1839 and the church was built by the Hobart company Kirk and Fisher and completed in 1841. The church is in the Romanesque Revival style and is one of the earliest remaining Romanesque Revival buildings in Australia. The style is evident in the entrance to the church featuring a semi-circular arched doorway and door, and on the blind arcading above the doorway. The doorway also decorated columns and decorated molding on the doorway arch.

Romanesque Revival architecture is sometimes referred to as Neo-Norman due to the Normans influence in spreading the Romanesque style through England after their conquest in 1066.

For more of the building see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1211

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

November 21, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“(Former) St Matthew’s Presbyterian Church entrance, Glenorchy, Hobart, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed August 18, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1213.