The main entrance to St David’s Cathedral is on Murray Street, Hobart. The cathedral was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style. The foundation stone was laid in 1868 by Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the nave was consecrated in 1874. The work was supervised by Henry Hunter (1832-1892). The pointed-arch doorway is entered through an arcade consisting of three pointed-arch entrances. The large west window above the entrance includes tracery, five lancet windows, and leadlight made in Melbourne by Brooke Robinson and installed in 1965. The entrance is flanked by two additional pointed-arch windows featuring three lancet windows each, as well as buttressed turrets.
George Bodley was a well-known architect working in the Gothic Revival style, and in particular he was influenced by late medieval architecture from England and northern Europe. His best known work is perhaps Magdalen College, Oxford.
For the cathedral tower see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1145
For the interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1198