St Luke’s Church is in the small town of Bothwell in Tasmania. Built by the government under the direction of Lieutenant Governor George Arthur (1784-1854), St Luke’s originally held combined services for Anglicans and Presbyterians, before the Anglicans built their own church in 1891. It is now a Uniting Church. It was designed in 1828 by John Lee Archer (1791-1852) and was opened in 1830. Apparently the building was supposed to have Romanesque semi-circular windows but George Arthur directed Archer to change them to the pointed Gothic style as he considered rounded windows unchristian (!). The simple interior of the church shows these Gothic windows, consisting of two lancet windows parallel and more recent stained glass. Some of the stained glass feature ring-headed ‘Celtic’ crosses that originated during the early medieval period in Ireland. The design is more commonly found in Catholic churches but such stylistic barriers between the denominations are now less common.
For the exterior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1146
For the Celtic heads see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1147