Browse Items (47 total)

The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866,…

The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866,…

Repair work on St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, in 2008 brought to light the possibility that a baptismal font in the Cathedral may be from the medieval Norman period. The cylindrical font has elaborately carved columns and Romanesque…

This building is at 38 Davey Street in central Hobart. It is at the rear of Parliament House and is part of the proposed Parliament Square redevelopment. The building adjoins the former St Mary’s Hospital building and early photographs show that it…

The anonymous online article ‘Living by the sword’ appears in volume 4 of the Leatherwood Online – Tasmania’s Journal of Discovery website and was posted in June/July 2007. It is about professional swordsman Stephen Hand of…

St Joseph’s Catholic Church is on the corner of MacQuarie and Harrington Streets in Hobart,Tasmania. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1840 and it was opened by Fr. John Joseph Therry (1790-1864) on Christmas day, 1841.…

St Joseph’s Catholic Church is on the corner of MacQuarie and Harrington Streets in Hobart, Tasmania. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1840 and it was opened by Fr. John Joseph Therry (1790-1864) on Christmas day, 1841.…

This monument to William Bedford (1781-1852) is situated in St David’s Park (previously a cemetery), Hobart. Bedford was arrived in Hobart in 1823 and became the senior chaplain of St David’s Church, the main Church of England church in…