St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide

Dublin Core

Title

St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide

Subject

Adelaide, arch, architecture, buttress, cathedral, Catholic, Catholicism, Charles Hansom (1817-1888), Christopher Augustine Reynolds (1834-1893), church, cinquefoil, ecclesiastical building, early English gothic (1189-1307), Edward John Woods (1839-1916), Francis Murphy (1975-1858), Francis Xavier (1506-1552), gothic architecture, Gothic Revival, Harrold Herbert Jory (1888-1966), lancet arch, lancet window, Leonard Faulkner (b.1926), neo-gothic, Peter Paul Pugin (1851-1904), pinnacles, Pugin and Pugin Architects, rose window, Richard Lambeth (1807-1877), Robert William Spence (1860-1934), Roman Catholic, SA, South Australia, tower, tracery, Walter Hervey Bagot (1880-1963)

Description

Images of St Francis Xavier Cathedral in Adelaide, South Australia. St Francis Xavier is a Catholic cathedral of Gothic Revival design. The early stages of the building are reminiscent of English gothic architecture dating from the period c.1198-1307, and may have been modelled on the twelfth century Byland Abbey Church in Yorkshire, UK. Distinctive neo-gothic features of the completed cathedral include the large square tower, which measures 36.3m in height, the rose window, lancet arches, pinnacles, stone tracery and steep gables.

Work on St Francis Xavier’s began at the instigation of its first bishop, Francis Murphy. The foundation stone was laid by Father Michael Ryan in 1856, and the building proceeded in five stages between 1858 and 1996. The initial portion of the cathedral was designed by Charles Hansom, a student of well-known Gothic Revivalist Augustine Welby Pugin, and comprised a small sanctuary, the central nave and two small side aisles. The first extension added a sanctuary, a Lady Chapel, a side chapel and a sacristy in 1860. In 1887, extensions to the Eastern side of the nave (designed by Peter Paul Pugin, son of Augustine Welby Pugin) were dedicated, and further extensions to the Western side of the nave were completed in 1926. Finally, the tower was completed in 1996. The cathedral is named after Francis Xavier, a sixteenth-century Jesuit priest and missionary.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

27 July 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2 x Digital Photographs; JPEGs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

2 x Digital Photographs; JPEGs

Files

Citation

“St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 10, 2021, https://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/663.