St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide

Dublin Core

Title

St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide

Subject

Adelaide, arch, architecture, buttress, cathedral, Catholic, Catholicism, Charles Hansom (1817-1888), Christopher Augustine Reynolds (1834-1893), church, cinquefoil, ecclesiastical building, early English gothic (1189-1307), Edward John Woods (1839-1916), Francis Murphy (1975-1858), Francis Xavier (1506-1552), gothic architecture, Gothic Revival, Harrold Herbert Jory (1888-1966), lancet arch, lancet window, Leonard Faulkner (b.1926), neo-gothic, Peter Paul Pugin (1851-1904), pinnacles, Pugin and Pugin Architects, rose window, Richard Lambeth (1807-1877), Robert William Spence (1860-1934), Roman Catholic, SA, South Australia, tower, tracery, Walter Hervey Bagot (1880-1963)

Description

A detail of the distinctive neo-gothic square tower at St Francis Xavier Cathedral in Adelaide, South Australia. The cornerstone was laid in 1887 and the lower part of the tower was constructed between 1923 and 1926. However, the tower then remained unfinished until 1996, when it was completed in accordance with drawings by the original nineteenth-century architects, Pugin & Pugin. The tower measures 36.5 metres in heights and is topped with four ornately decorated stone pinnacles.

St Francis Xavier is a Catholic cathedral of Gothic Revival design. Work on St Francis Xavier’s began at the instigation of its first bishop, Francis Murphy. The foundation stone was laid by Father Michael Ryan in 1856, and the building proceeded in five stages between 1858 and 1996. The initial portion of the cathedral was designed by Charles Hansom, a student of well-known Gothic Revivalist Augustine Welby Pugin, and comprised a small sanctuary, the central nave and two small side aisles. The first extension added a sanctuary, a Lady Chapel, a side chapel and a sacristy in 1860. In 1887, extensions to the Eastern side of the nave (designed by Peter Paul Pugin, son of Augustine Welby Pugin) were dedicated, and further extensions to the Western side of the nave were completed in 1926. Finally, the tower was completed in 1996. The cathedral is named after Francis Xavier, a sixteenth-century Jesuit priest and missionary.

Creator

Dorey, Margaret

Date

27 July 2011

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St Francis Xavier Cathedral, Adelaide,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 10, 2021, https://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/662.