(Former) Methodist Church, Whitemore, Tasmania
Buttress, Gothic, Gothic Revival, lancet window, Methodist, Methodist Church, Percy Oakden, A.A. Quick, pointed arch, Tas, Tasmania, Uniting Church, Whitemore.
The Uniting Church in the small town of Whitemore in northern Tasmania was formally a Methodist church. The simple brick building was designed by Launceston architect Percy Oakden (1845-1917) in the Gothic Revival style with buttresses, lancet windows, and a pointed arch door and doorway. The use of a darker paint colour effectively highlights the buttresses and pointed arches. The church hall beside the church incorporates part of an earlier timber chapel. The foundation stone for the Methodist church was laid in 1864 and it was opened in 1865 by the President of the Wesleyan Conference Rev. A.A. Quick. It became part of the Uniting Church in 1977.
November 11, 2012
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Digital Photograph; JPEG