St Michael and All Angels Anglican Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Bothwell. The church was built in the Gothic Revival style from 1887 and consecrated in 1891. It was designed by Launceston architect Alexander North (1858-1945) and built of local stone by Lewis and son and Hallet, primarily by the stonemason Thomas Lewis. The stonemason’s skill is amply displayed on the interior, which features stone steps through a low stone wall connected to a stone pulpit, a stone alter, and decorated stone columns. An unusual feature is the stone fireplace on the west wall to heat the church. The low stone wall features a pointed arch design in relief which adds to the Gothic appearance of the interior. The fittings of the interior, including the pews and the font beside the fireplace, were designed by North. Also evident in the photographs are the lancet windows, some with stained glass, and the timber trusses of the roof.
For more of the interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1175
For the exterior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1162