St Matthias Church, Windermere, Tasmania
Anglican, buttress, crenellation, Dr Matthias Gaunt, Gothic, Gothic Revival, lancet window, St Matthias, Bishop Francis Russell Nixon, parapet, pinnacle, pointed arch, St Matthias Church, Tas, Tasmania, tower, Windermere.
St Matthias Anglican Church overlooks the Tamar River in the small Tasmanian town of Windermere. The church was completed in 1843 and was consecrated in 1845 by Tasmaniaâ€™s first Bishop, Francis Russell Nixon. St Matthiasâ€™ was built by landowner Dr Matthias Gaunt as he had allegedly promised his wife before they emigrated from England that if there was not a church close to their property, he would build one. The small whitewashed bluestone church is in the Gothic Revival style, featuring buttresses and lancet windows. The square tower has a pointed-arch entrance and is topped by a crenelated parapet and corner pinnacles.
September 11, 2012
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Digital Photograph; JPEG