Browse Items (730 total)

The Launceston Post Office is in the centre of the Tasmanian city of Launceston, and is one of four Heritage Property Showcase buildings of Australia Post for 2012. It was designed by architect William W. Eldridge (1850-1933) in 1885 with some…

This oil on canvas painting by English artist Briton Rivière was purchased by the Art Gallery of New South Wales (from the artist) in 1897-1898. Completed in 1888, it depicts an armoured medieval knight lying supine on top of a wooden bed and…

St Mark’s Church of England (now Anglican) is in the small Tasmanian town of Pontville. The ashlar stone church was built between 1839 and 1841 by Joseph Moir and the foundation stone (no longer visible) is thought to have been laid by Governor…

This building is now part of J Boag & Son’s Brewery in the northern Tasmanian city of Launceston. It was built as a store in 1886 by the flour miller Thomas Wilkes Monds (1829-1916) and was rented by the confectioner Arthur Biddell. The brick store…

The former St Peter’s Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Kempton. The foundation stone for the red brick church was laid by Monsignor Gilleran in 1918 and the building was completed in 1923. St Peter’s was designed by architect…

An image of the Catholic Education Centre on Ruislip Street in West Leederville, an inner-city suburb of Perth, Western Australia. The buildings that make up the Catholic Education Centre were once known as the Home Of The Good Shepherd and were run…

An image of the abandoned Catholic church of St. Malachy in Gooloogong, New South Wales. It was featured on the Facebook site for the Medieval Shoppe, who design historical replicas of swords, armour and other weapons.

The church, which fell out…

An image of the interior of the abandoned Catholic church of St. Malachy in Gooloogong, New South Wales. It shows the apse at the rear of the church, entered through a pointed arch doorway. The image is featured on the Facebook site for the Medieval…