Browse Items (134 total)

St Mark’s Anglican Church is in the northern Tasmanian town of Deloraine. It was designed by William Henry Clayton (1823-1877) in the Gothic Revival style, in particular ‘Decorated’ or ‘Victorian Free’ Gothic. The…

This memorial board of the ‘St Andrews Memorial Endowment Roll’ is in St Andrew’s Church of England (Anglican) in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. It was carved by the Tasmanian woodcarver Ellen Nora Payne (1865-1962) of…

St Mark’s Anglican Church is in the northern Tasmanian town of Deloraine. It was designed by William Henry Clayton (1823-1877) in the Gothic Revival style, in particular ‘Decorated’ or ‘Victorian Free’ Gothic. The…

This wood and tin bird cage is in the Gothic architectural style that was commonly employed on churches in Europe between the twelfth and sixteenth centuries. The body of the bird cage is four panels in the shape of pointed arch windows with tracery…

St Andrew’s Church of England (Anglican) is opposite the Village Green in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. The foundation stone was laid in 1836 by Lieutenant George Arthur (1784-1854) and the sandstone brick church was first used in 1841.…

The main entrance to St David’s Cathedral is on Murray Street, Hobart. The cathedral was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style. The foundation stone was laid in 1868 by Prince…

Holy Trinity Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. The building of the bluestone church began in 1869 under the direction of the town’s first resident Catholic priest, Father James Hogan (1825-1899), who had arrived in 1850.…

The square bell tower of St David’s Cathedral, Hobart, was completed in 1936 after the foundation stone had been laid in 1892. The cathedral was designed in 1865 by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907), and the tower may have…