St Andrew’s Anglican Church exterior, Westbury, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

St Andrew’s Anglican Church exterior, Westbury, Tasmania

Subject

Anglican, George Arthur, James Blackburn, buttress, Church of England, William Henry Clayton, convict, crenellation, Gothic, Gothic Revival, lancet windows, Francis Russell Nixon, parapet, pinnacle, pointed arch, porch, St Andrew’s Anglican Church, Tas, Tasmania, tower, tracery, Westbury.

Description

St Andrew’s Church of England (Anglican) is opposite the Village Green in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. The foundation stone was laid in 1836 by Lieutenant George Arthur (1784-1854) and the sandstone brick church was first used in 1841. The nave was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) in 1840-02. The church was finally consecrated in 1851 by Tasmania’s first Bishop, Francis Russell Nixon (1803-1879). The tower was added in 1859 under the supervision of architect William Henry Clayton (1823-1877). The sanctuary and chancel were completed in 1888 and consecrated in 1890. St Andrew’s is in the Gothic Revival style and features buttresses, lancet windows, a porch, tracery in the east window, and pointed arch doorways. The tower is topped by a crenelated parapet and originally had pinnacles but these were removed following serious storm damage in 1877.

For the interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1191

http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1186

http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1197

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

October 20, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St Andrew’s Anglican Church exterior, Westbury, Tasmania,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed July 17, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1178.