St Mark’s Anglican Church exterior, Deloraine, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

St Mark’s Anglican Church exterior, Deloraine, Tasmania

Subject

Anglican, buttress, William Henry Clayton, Deloraine, Gothic, Gothic Revival, lancet window, pointed arch, rose window, St Mark’s Church, spire, Tas, Tasmania, tower, tracery, turret.

Description

St Mark’s Anglican Church is in the northern Tasmanian town of Deloraine. It was designed by William Henry Clayton (1823-1877) in the Gothic Revival style, in particular ‘Decorated’ or ‘Victorian Free’ Gothic. The foundation stone was laid in 1856 and the church was consecrated in 1860. In 1878 the chancel, sanctuary, north transept and rose window were added, and the vestry was added in 1969. As can be seen in one of the photographs, the church is unfinished and a proposed extension to the south façade means that no windows have been added to that side. The most prominent part of St Mark’s is the three story octagonal tower on the north-west corner which is topped by a spire and includes lancet windows, pointed arch gables, and a stair turret. Other Gothic features of the brick church are the buttresses, pointed arch window in the west walls that include four lancet windows and tracery, pointed arch doorways, and a rose window.

For the tower and west wall see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1183

For the interior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1188

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

November 4, 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

2xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St Mark’s Anglican Church exterior, Deloraine, Tasmania ,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed June 16, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1182.