St Patrick’s Catholic Cathedral was designed by English-born architect William Wardell and incorporated parts of an earlier church on the site. Although the foundation stone was laid in 1858, the cathedral was not consecrated until 1897, and was only completed in 1939. The bluestone building was built in the Gothic Revival style and is based on English churches of c. 1350-1500. External Gothic features include prominent towers, turrets, spires, gargoyles, and lancet windows with tracery. St Patrick’s was made a minor basilica by Pope Paul VI in 1974.
The cathedral website is available at http://www.stpatrickscathedral.org.au/