The Church of St John the Evangelist, Albany

Dublin Core

Title

The Church of St John the Evangelist, Albany

Subject

Albany, Anglo-Saxon, bell tower, church, The Church of St John the Evangelist, crenellation, Gothic, pointed arch, tower, WA, Western Australia

Description

The Church of St John the Evangelist is located in the city of Albany on the southern coast of Western Australia. Construction of the stone church began in 1840 and it was the first WA church to be consecrated (October 26, 1848). The proportions of the building and its relatively low bell tower suggests an inspiration from Anglo-Saxon churches (as noted in the Church welcome pamphlet), but the narrow pointed arched windows and arched entrance are Gothic (which is post-Anglo-Saxon) in style. The bell tower also features crenellation.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

13 April 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“The Church of St John the Evangelist, Albany,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed July 30, 2021, https://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/912.