‘The Towers’ building is in the Hobart suburb of Newtown and lends its name to Tower Road. It was designed by English-born convict architect James Blackburn in c. 1845 as a grand domestic building built around an internal courtyard. The weatherboard house features a prominent three-storey stone tower with an additional level provided by a turret. The tower and turret are both crenellated and feature rounded arched windows. The rooms inside the tower feature marble fireplaces.
For more on James Blackburn see: http://adb.anu.edu.au/biography/blackburn-james-1789