An image of the ‘Saint George’ stained glass window at St Alban’s Anglican Church, Highgate. This stained glass is one of three windows (the others depicting St Alban and St Michael) located at the rear of the church. It was originally purchased for St George’s Cathedral but was later discovered to be the wrong shape (rounded instead of pointed) and was donated to St Alban’s. The stained glass depicts George standing astride a vanquished winged-dragon. As is common in artistic renditions, George’s role as a warrior saint is symbolised by a suit of elaborate armour, a sword and a shield. His spear, which pierces the dragon, is also a processional cross and has a pennant with a cross flying from it.
About St Alban’s:
St Alban’s is a small limestone parish church located in Highgate, Western Australia. Built in 1889 (with enlargements in 1898) in a Victorian Romanesque style, it is one of the earliest buildings designed by well-known WA architect Sir J. J. Talbot-Hobbs (1864-1938). Its characteristically romanesque features include the semi-circular arches, the traditional load-bearing masonry of the buttresses and solid walling, and the small window and door openings in relation to the overall wall area. The St Alban’s church Hall was used briefly as a preparatory school by The Sisters of the Church of England between 1907 and 1915. For more information about St Alban’s, see: http://stalbans.org.au/about-st-albans/historic-st-albans/.