These two photographs show the entrance of St John’s Anglican Church in Launceston. The original church was designed by David Lambe and built by convict labour in 1824-5. From 1902 extensive alterations were made under the direction of architect Alexander North (1858-1945), resulting in the red brick building with large rose window and elaborate arched doorway seen in these photograph. The Gothic-styled entrance features pointed arches and niches on either side of the entrance. Towers with buttresses flank the entrance, and there are lancet windows above the rose window.
website see http://www.stjohns.net.au/