Front Facade, Former Melbourne Magistrate’s Court


Dublin Core


Front Facade, Former Melbourne Magistrate’s Court


arch, arches, architecture, building, columns, Court of Petty Sessions, George B H Austin, hood moulding, law, law courts, magistrate, Magistrate’s Court, masonry, Melbourne, neo-romanesque, Norman Revival, Public Works Department, RMIT, Romanesque architecture, rounded arches, semi-circular arches, stonework, Supreme Court, Swanson Brothers, tower, turrets, university, university buildings, Victoria


The front facade of the former Magistrate’s Court Building on the corner of La Trobe Street and Russell Street in Melbourne’s CBD. The Former Magistrate’s Court Building is a three-storey building of French Romanesque design that was constructed entirely from Australian materials. The strongly modelled entrance, thick, squat columns and solid masonry are characteristic of Norman Revival or neo-romanesque architecture, as are the tourelles, the tower and semi-circular windows and arches.

The Former Magistrate’s Court building was designed by Department of Public Works architect George H B Austin and built by the Swanson Brothers. It replaced a two-storey brick building on the site that previously housed the Supreme Court and then the Court of Petty Sessions. Construction of the new building began in 1911 and was completed in 1914. The Court of Petty Sessions, later renamed the Melbourne Magistrate’s court, operated from the building from 1914 until 1995. It is now owned by the Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology (RMIT) and is used for lectures.


McEwan, Joanne


6 May 2011


No Copyright


Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG