A close-up of the detailed stonework surrounding a doorway at St Peter’s Cathedral in Adelaide, South Australia. Construction of this Victorian Gothic style Cathedral began in 1869. Its gothic features include lancet arches, blind arcading and decorative stone tracery.
About St Peter’s Cathedral:
St Peter’s is an Anglican Cathedral located in North Adelaide. Plans for the Cathedral, designed by English architect William Butterfield, were brought to South Australia by the first bishop of the Anglican diocese of Adelaide, Augustus Short, in 1848. They were enlarged and implemented by local architect Edward John Woods. The foundation stone of the Cathedral was laid on St Peter’s Day (29 June) in 1869, and building proceeded in five stages. The first section was completed in 1877, when the Cathedral officially opened for services. The nave was completed in 1901, the towers in 1902, the Lady Chapel in 1904 and the front steps in 1911. Restoration work on the Cathedral began in the 1990s. For more information, see: http://www.stpeters-cathedral.org.au/web/arch.