A view of St Peter’s Cathedral in Adelaide, South Australia. Construction of this Victorian Gothic style Cathedral began in 1869. The front of the Cathedral is believed to have been modelled on the church of St Jean-Baptiste de Belleville in Paris, while the lower half of the front facade - especially the three large doorways, the rose window and the twin lancet windows on either side - are also strongly reminiscent of Notre Dame in Paris. Other features of the Cathedral’s gothic architecture include the blind arcading and elaborate stone tracery, the solid buttresses and the characteristic twin towers and spires.
About St Peter’s Cathedral:
St Peter’s is an Anglican Cathedral located in North Adelaide. Plans for the Cathedral, designed by English architect William Butterfield, were brought to South Australia by the first bishop of the Anglican diocese of Adelaide, Augustus Short, in 1848. They were enlarged and implemented by local architect Edward John Woods. The foundation stone of the Cathedral was laid on St Peter’s Day (29 June) in 1869, and building proceeded in five stages. The first section was completed in 1877, when the Cathedral officially opened for services. The nave was completed in 1901, the towers in 1902, the Lady Chapel in 1904 and the front steps in 1911. Restoration work on the Cathedral began in the 1990s. For more information, see: http://www.stpeters-cathedral.org.au/web/arch.