An image of the ‘Saint Michael’ stained glass window at St Alban’s Anglican Church, Highgate. This stained glass is one of three windows (the others depicting St Alban and St George) located at the rear of the church. It was originally purchased for St George’s Cathedral but was later discovered to be the wrong shape (rounded instead of pointed) and was donated to St Alban’s. The stained glass depicts Michael, archangel and commander of the Lord’s army, standing astride a vanquished dragon. It represents the defeat of the Dragon and his rebel army by Michael and his angels in the Book of Revelation. The Dragon, otherwise Satan, was cast out of Heaven and hurled down to Earth with his angels (Revelation, 12:7-9). As is common in artistic renditions, Michael’s role as a warrior saint is symbolised by a suit of elaborate armour, a sword and a shield. His wings are conspicuous and he is clothed in white to reinforce his righteousness and service on the side of ‘Good’. During the medieval period, St Michael’s feast day (29 September) – known as Michaelmas – was not only an important Holy Day, but was also observed as a quarter day for the settling of rents and accounts.
About St Alban’s:
St Alban’s is a small limestone parish church located in Highgate, Western Australia. Built in 1889 (with enlargements in 1898) in a Victorian Romanesque style, it is one of the earliest buildings designed by well-known WA architect Sir J. J. Talbot-Hobbs (1864-1938). Its characteristically romanesque features include the semi-circular arches, the traditional load-bearing masonry of the buttresses and solid walling, and the small window and door openings in relation to the overall wall area. The St Alban’s church Hall was used briefly as a preparatory school by The Sisters of the Church of England between 1907 and 1915. For more information about St Alban’s, see: http://stalbans.org.au/about-st-albans/historic-st-albans/.