An image depicting men and women of the Welsh Saint David's Society of Brisbane, gathered around the Society's banner, which depicts a dragon.
BRIEF HISTORY OF THE SOCIETY:
The Saint David’s Welsh Society was founded on 16th April 1918 with the aim of acknowledging and celebrating the Welsh origins of its members and to promote an appreciation of various aspects of Welsh culture within the Brisbane community of Welsh immigrants and their descendants. The Society continues to fill that role and welcomes as members all those with historical or cultural connections with Wales or an interest in Welsh cultures and history. Some of the traditions brought to Australia are still recognised and enjoyed by the Society.
AIMS OF THE SOCIETY:
The aims of the Society are to promote the following:
- Welsh culture, language, literature and music;
- Welsh traditions and ceremonies;
- The Arts and Sciences associated with and derived from Wales and Welsh;
- Fellowship and a sense of community among our members by means of regular meetings and functions;
- To foster relationships with other organizations in Australia and overseas which have similar aims.