St. Albanâ€™s Anglican Church, Highgate, Western Australia
Anglican, Anglican church, architect, architecture, bell turret, buttresses, church, church building, Fred Collett (builder), Highgate, J. J. Talbot Hobbs (1864-1938), leadlight windows, limestone, neo-romanesque, Norman architecture, oculus windows, parish church, preparatory school, quoins, red brick, romanesque architecture, semi-circular arches, St. Alban, St. George, Saint Alban, Saint George, Saint Michael, St. Michael, stained-glass, stained glass, stone, The Sisters of the Church of England, Victorian Romanesque style, Western Australia, WA
St Albanâ€™s Anglican Church, Highgate. St Albanâ€™s is a small limestone parish church located in Highgate, Western Australia. Built in 1889 (with enlargements in 1898) in a Victorian Romanesque style, it is one of the earliest buildings designed by well-known WA architect Sir J. J. Talbot-Hobbs (1864-1938). Its characteristically romanesque features include the semi-circular arches, the traditional load-bearing masonry of the buttresses and solid walling, and the small window and door openings in relation to the overall wall area. The window of the nave contains stained three stained glass images of St Alban, St George and St Michael. The latter two were originally purchased for St Georgeâ€™s Cathedral, but upon arrival were discovered to be the wrong shape and were donated to St Albanâ€™s. Other windows depict St Luke, Christ and the Disciples and The Virgin Mary and Child. A bell was also donated by St Georgeâ€™s Cathedral. The St Albanâ€™s church Hall was used briefly as a preparatory school by The Sisters of the Church of England between 1907 and 1915.
4 February 2011
Still Image Item Type Metadata
3 x Digital Photographs (Colour)