The Great Gate and the Clock Tower (south side), The University of Western Australia, Crawley Campus.
Administration Building, arch, architecture, archway, bell tower, clock tower, Crawley, â€œGreat Gateâ€, Italian influence, limestone, Senate Chamber, Sir John Winthrop Hackett (1848-1916), stone, The University of Western Australia, tower, Western Australia, Winthrop Hall, gateway, Oxford University, Cambridge University, Tudor architecture, Tudor, university building, university buildings, university college, university colleges, college
A view of the southern side of the Great Gate joining Winthrop Hall to the old Arts and Administration building and the clock tower at the University of Western Australia. The flanking towers of the Gate are square at the base and octagonal at the top, which was supposed to liken it to the Tudor gateways of Oxford and Cambridge colleges (Rodney Alsop, “The Architecture of the Hackett Buildings”, in Opening of Winthrop Hall: Commemorative Volume and Official Programme, 1932). The northern side of the Gate features the “Five Lamps of Learning” mosaic by Mervyn Napier Waller. The clock tower resembles a Renaissance bell tower. Winthrop Hall, Hackett Hall, the Great Gate and the Arts and Administration Building were designed and built together as a group of University Buildings collectively referred to as the Hackett Memorial Buildings. They were funded by a bequest from The University of Western Australia’s first Chancellor, Sir John Winthrop Hackett (1848-1916), and were officially opened at a ceremony on 13 April 1932.
28 January 2011
Still Image Item Type Metadata