Chapel of St. Mary and St. George - Exterior Gothic Features

Dublin Core


Chapel of St. Mary and St. George - Exterior Gothic Features


Anglican, Anglicanism, buttress, Cecil Oliverson, chapel, Church of England, collegiate chapel, ecclesiastical building, gothic features, gothic revival, Guildford, Guildford Grammar School, heraldic shield, heraldry, hood moulding, lancet arch, neo-gothic, Perth, Reverend Percy Henn, Saint George, Saint Mary, Sir Walter Tapper, St. George, St. Mary, tower, tracery, WA, Western Australia


Images of neo-gothic features at the Anglican Chapel of St. Mary and St. George, including lancet arches, hood moulding and traceried windows.

About the Chapel of St. Mary and St. George:

The Chapel of St. Mary and St. George was constructed for, and continues to be used by, Guildford Grammar School. It was designed by prominent English gothic revival architect Sir Walter Tapper and is built in a Gothic Perpendicular Revival style. Plans to build a chapel to service the school were proposed shortly after the appointment of headmaster Reverend Percy Henn in 1909. Penn appealed for funds and managed to secure the benefaction of London businessman and Philanthropist Cecil Oliverson, which covered the costs of building and furnishing the chapel. Building began in 1912 and the chapel was completed and consecrated in 1914. The replication of a ‘village green’ setting, in which the chapel is situated on a flat expanse of grass and framed by the school’s other buildings, is notable.


Carter, Bree




No Copyright


Digital Photographs

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photographs



“Chapel of St. Mary and St. George - Exterior Gothic Features,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed May 19, 2021,