A view of the northern side of The Great Gate joining Winthrop Hall to the old Administration building at the University of Western Australia’s Crawley campus. The flanking towers of the Gate are square at the base and octagonal at the top, which was supposed to liken it to the Tudor gateways of Oxford and Cambridge colleges (Rodney Alsop, "The Architecture of the Hackett Buildings", in Opening of Winthrop Hall: Commemorative Volume and Official Programme, 1932). It was designed and constructed in conjunction with Winthrop Hall, Hackett Hall and the Administration Building from a bequest by the University’s first Chancellor, Sir John Winthrop Hackett (1848-1916). The buildings were officially opened on 13 April 1932. The University also commissioned artist Mervyn Napier Waller to design and produce the mosaic positioned above the window to the Senate chamber on the northern side of the Great Gate in 1931. The mosaic, known as the ‘Five Lamps of Learning’, features five figures who each represent one of the virtues of wisdom, understanding, counsel, courage and knowledge (For more information on the ‘Five Lamps of Learning’ mosaic, see the UWA Archives website: http://archives.uwa.edu.au/page/84543, accessed 1/2/2011).