St Mark’s Church of England (now Anglican) is in the small Tasmanian town of Pontville. The ashlar stone church was built between 1839 and 1841 by Joseph Moir and the foundation stone (no longer visible) is thought to have been laid by Governor Sir John Franklin (1786-1847). Due to a dispute over the ownership of the land the church was not consecrated until 1884. St Mark’s was designed by the convict architect James Blackburn (1803-1854) in the Romanesque Revival, or Neo-Norman, style. It is one of the oldest remaining buildings in the style in Australia. It features semi-circular arches on the doorways and windows, Celtic crosses at each gable end, four small square corner towers with arrow slits and pyramid-shaped roofs of iron, stained glass, and buttresses along the sides of the building. Additional features at the rear of the building are blind doorways with semi-circular arches on the towers, a large stained glass window (with protective covering), and an unusual Romanesque square garden feature (or tomb?) in the cemetery with columns and semi-circular arches.
Romanesque Revival architecture is sometimes referred to as Neo-Norman due to the Normans influence in spreading the Romanesque style through England after their conquest in 1066.
For the rest of the exterior see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1233