(Former) St Maryâ€™s Hospital, Hobart, Tasmania
Edward Samuel Pickard Bedford, crenelation, Health Department, Hobart, hospital, William Porden Kay, Lands and Survey Department, parapet, St Maryâ€™s Hospital, Tas, Tasmania.
The former St Maryâ€™s Hospital is on the corner of Davey Street and Salamanca Place, at the rear of Parliament House, in Hobart, Tasmania. Designed by William Porden Kay (1809-1870), it was built as a private sixty bed hospital for Dr Edward Samuel Pickard Bedford (1809-1876), with the foundation stone being laid in 1847. After the hospital closed in 1862 the building was used by the Lands and Survey Department and then the Health Department. The building has a crenelated parapet above the second storey, and another above the pointed arch entrance.
October 6, 2012
Still Image Item Type Metadata
Digital Photograph; JPEG