St Patrick’s Catholic Church is in the village of Colebrook, Tasmania. The sandstone building was built in 1855-7 under the supervision of architect Frederick Thomas from a detailed scale model made by the English architect Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) in 1843. The model was made for Pugin’s friend Robert William Willson (1794-1866) who was the first Catholic Bishop in Tasmania. The building is in the Gothic Revival style with pointed arch doorways, buttresses, tracery, porch, and lancet windows. A noticeable feature is the triple bellcote which was reinstated in 2007 after falling in a storm in 1895. The elaborate balustrade was not part of Pugin’s design and was added by Thomas due to the sloping site. St Patrick’s represents Pugin’s idea of an early fourteenth century English village church.
Augustus Welby Northmore Pugin (1812-1852) played a central role in establishing the Gothic Revival style and is best remembered for his work on the Houses of Parliament in London, and the interior of the Palace of Westminster.
St Patrick (c. 387 - c. 460) was an early medieval British missionary who worked in northern Ireland and is now Ireland’s patron saint.
For an essay on the church by Brian Andrews see http://www.puginfoundation.org/assets/Colebrook_Essay.pdf