St George’s Anglican Chapel is the chapel of St George’s College, a residential college for students attending The University of Western Australia in Perth. The foundation stone of the chapel was laid in 1928 by Archbishop Riley, and the chapel was designed by Sir Talbot Hobbs. Unusually, the red brick chapel is built north-south rather than east-west like most churches. St George’s Chapel is built in the Gothic Revival style. It features stained glass windows at the north and south ends. The large west window above the entrance includes five lancet windows and the three central windows are devoted to medieval Anglo-Saxon saints of England: St Aiden of Lindisfarne (d. 651) who undertook missionary work in the Anglo-Saxon kingdom of Northumbria and established the monastery on the island of Lindisfarne; St Augustine (d. 604), the first Archbishop of Canterbury who led the mission to convert the Anglo-Saxons sent by Pope Gregory the Great; and St Boniface (d. 754), an Anglo-Saxon missionary who worked in Germany and Frisia. The east window includes St George wearing armour and carrying a sword to the right of Jesus in the centre (St Paul also carries a sword and is on Jesus’ left).
For the exterior of the chapel see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1019
For St George’s College see http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/83