Browse Items (15 total)

This altarpiece from the New Chapel at New Norcia contains the figures of St Benedict and his sister St Scholastica. The Benedictine community at New Norcia follow the Rule of St Benedict, a book of precepts or guidelines for monastic living…

Released in 2007, New Norcia Abbey Ale was developed and produced by Chuck Hahn (of the Malt Shovel Brewery) in collaboration with the Benedictine monks at New Norcia. Unlike Trappist beers which are brewed within abbey walls under the control of…

The front façade of the Abbey Church, New Norcia. The original church building was constructed from stones and plaster. In 1908, New Norcia’s second Abbot, Bishop Fulgentius Torres, added this Italian Renaissance style façade…

St Ildephonsus College, New Norcia. St Ildephonsus opened in 1913 as a boarding school for boys. It was staffed by Marist Brothers until 1965, when the Benedictines took over. The school closed in 1991 and is now used primarily as a venue for…

St Gertrude’s College, New Norcia. St Gertrude’s opened in 1908 and originally functioned as a convent boarding school for girls. It was staffed by Josephite sisters, the first of whom were sent to New Norcia by Mary Mackillop at the…

This small round window above the altar in the New Chapel at New Norcia bears the Cross of St Benedict in stained glass. A cross dominates almost the entire frame surrounded by the letters C. S. P. and B. These letters denote the Latin phrase…

A correspondent from Tourism Western Australia writes about the monastic town of New Norcia for The Sydney Morning Herald.http://www.smh.com.au/news/western-australia/spanish-flavours-in-the-bush/2005/11/09/1131407687134.html