Browse Items (47 total)

The Royal Engineers Building on Macquarrie Street in Hobart was built in 1846-7 and was the headquarters of the Royal Engineers Regiment until 1876. The two-storey stone building was built in the late medieval Tudor style and features two-storey bay…

The Caretakers House (for the nearby shot tower) in the Hobart suburb of Bonnet Hill, Tasmania, has the appearance of a medieval fortified house. It was originally built for Joseph Moir from 1855 as a domestic dwelling. The two-storey stone building…

The article ‘The bride wore… a sword’ by reporter Hannah Martin appeared in the online version of the Tasmanian newspaper The Mercury. The article reports on a medieval ‘Celtic’-style wedding of two members of the…

The photograph shows a building at the former Hutchins School in Hobart, Tasmania. Although this building is sympathetic to the main 1849 building on the site designed by William Archer, this building was a later addition and does not feature in an…

The Masonic Club of Tasmania is one of a number of heritage buildings along Hobart’s Macquarie Street. It was originally built as Hutchins School between 1847 and 1849, and was designed by the Tasmanian-born architect William Archer. The bluestone…

A short article with photograph on page 22 of the Hobart newspaper ‘The Mercury’ on September 5, 1953. The article reports the recent activities of the World War Two Norwegian resistance hero Lief Larsen. The article describes Larsen as a…

Undergraduate unit ‘Fictions of History’ offered at the Hobart campus of The University of Tasmania (Coordinator: Dr Rosemary Gaby). The unit investigates how the past is represented in literature and includes Sir Walter Scott’s novel set in…