St. Andrew's Cathedral, Town Hall and Markets, George Street, Sydney, New South Wales

Dublin Core

Title

St. Andrew's Cathedral, Town Hall and Markets, George Street, Sydney, New South Wales

Subject

Anglican, Anglicanism, architect, architecture, cathedral, church, ecclesiastical building, Edmund T. Blacket, Frederick Barker, gothic, gothic architecture, Gothic Perpendicular style, gothic revival, James Hume, neo-gothic, New South Wales, NSW, pinnacle, Saint Andrew, St. Andrew, Sydney, tower, tracery, window, York Minster Cathedral

Description

A photograph of St Andrew’s Cathedral in Sydney that most likely dates from between 1920 and 1925. St Andrew’s Cathedral is located on George Street in Sydney and is part of the Town Hall group of buildings. It is the oldest cathedral in Australia. Construction of the cathedral was completed in 1868, and it was consecrated by the second Bishop of Sydney, Frederick Barker, on St Andrew’s day (30 November) that year. St Andrew’s Cathedral is built in a Gothic Perpendicular style according to the design of well-known gothic revival architect Edmund T. Blacket. Blacket replaced James Hume as the architect of the cathedral, and had to adapt his plans to conform to the shape and size of foundations that were already in place. The photograph exhibits some of the cathedral’s many decorative pinnacles and traceried gothic windows. One of its two distinctive towers, believed to have been modelled on the fifteenth-century towers of York Minster Cathedral, is also visible in the background.

Creator

Anon.

Source

National Library of Australia

Publisher

Anon.

Date

1920-1925

Rights

National Library of Australia

Format

Hyperlink. 1 of 66 photographs: gelatin silver ; 15.6 x 20.8 cm. or less.

Hyperlink Item Type Metadata

Files

Citation

“St. Andrew's Cathedral, Town Hall and Markets, George Street, Sydney, New South Wales,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed December 15, 2019, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/17.