St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney, ca. 1895

Dublin Core

Title

St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney, ca. 1895

Subject

Anglican, Anglicanism, architect, architecture, buttress, cathedral, church, ecclesiastical building, Edmund T. Blacket, Frederick Barker, gothic, gothic architecture, Gothic Perpendicular style, gothic revival, James Hume, neo-gothic, New South Wales, NSW, pinnacle, Saint Andrew, St. Andrew, Sydney, tower, tracery, window, York Minster Cathedral

Description

A photograph of St Andrew’s Cathedral in Sydney dating from c.1895. St Andrew’s functions as the seat of the Anglican Archbishop of Sydney and is the oldest cathedral in Australia. Construction of the cathedral was completed in 1868, and it was consecrated by the second Bishop of Sydney, Frederick Barker, on St Andrew’s day (30 November) that year. St Andrew’s Cathedral is built in a Gothic Perpendicular style according to the design of well-known gothic revival architect Edmund T. Blacket. Blacket replaced James Hume as the cathedral's architect, and had to adapt his plans to conform to the shape and size of foundations that were already in place. In this photograph the cathedral’s traditional cruciform shape is evident, as are its two distinctive towers, its numerous decorated pinnacles and its ornate traceried gothic windows. The western facade of St Andrew’s is believed to have been modelled on York Minster Cathedral, the towers of which date to the fifteenth century.

Creator

Kerry & Co.

Source

National Library of Australia

Publisher

Kerry & Co.

Date

ca. 1895

Rights

National Library of Australia

Format

Hyperlink. 1 photograph : albumen ; 15.4 x 20.4 cm.

Hyperlink Item Type Metadata

Files

Citation

“St. Andrew's Cathedral, Sydney, ca. 1895,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed January 19, 2020, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/16.