St John’s Anglican Church, Kirribilli, Sydney, New South Wales

Dublin Core

Title

St John’s Anglican Church, Kirribilli, Sydney, New South Wales

Subject

Anglican, Edmund Thomas Blacket, buttress, Church by the Bridge, Church of St John the Baptist, St John’s Anglican Church, Kirribilli, New South Wales, NSW, porch, Romanesque, Romanesque Revival, semi-circular arch, spire, Sydney, tower

Description

The Church of St John the Baptist, also known as St John’s Anglican Church is in the Sydney, New South Wales, suburb of Kirribilli. It was originally built as a church school and was designed by Edmund Thomas Blacket (1817-1883). It was built in 1884, with the vestry and sanctuary added in 1900 and the parish hall (now a kindergarten) in 1909. Due to its position close to one end of Sydney Harbour Bridge St John’s is also known as the Church by the Bridge and an evangelical group of that name meet at the church. The Church of St John the Baptist is in the Romanesque Revival style and features semi-circular arched windows and doorways, a circular window, buttresses, a porch, and a copper overlaid bell tower topped by a spire.

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

18 December 2012

Rights

No Copyright

Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“St John’s Anglican Church, Kirribilli, Sydney, New South Wales ,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed September 17, 2014, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1295.