Browse Items (134 total)

The current Uniting Church in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury was built as a Methodist Church. Building commenced in 1865 and it was completed in March 1867. It was designed by the Melbourne architectual firm (Thomas) Crouch and (Ralph) Wilson.…

The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866,…

The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866,…

St John the Evangelist’s Church is in the village of Richmond, Tasmania, and is the oldest continuously used Catholic church in Australia. The present building is an amalgam of two designs. The earliest building was designed by the English…

St John the Evangelist’s Church is in the village of Richmond, Tasmania, and is the oldest continuously used Catholic church in Australia. The present building is an amalgam of two designs. The earliest building was designed by the English…

St Patrick’s Catholic Church is in the village of Colebrook, Tasmania. The sandstone building was built in 1855-7 under the supervision of architect Frederick Thomas from a detailed scale model made by the English architect Augustus Welby…

The current Government House of Tasmania, the third in Hobart, was designed by the Director of Public Works William Porden Kay and built between 1855 and 1857 in the Gothic Revival style. Governor Henry Fox Young took up residence on January 2, 1858.…

Baptist City Church in the Tasmanian city of Launceston was built as Christ Church Congregational Church between 1883 and 1885. The brick and cement building was designed by Melbourne architects Grainger & D’Ebro. It is in the Gothic style…