Government House, Hobart, Tasmania
The current Government House of Tasmania, the third in Hobart, was designed by the Director of Public Works William Porden Kay and built between 1855 and 1857 in the Gothic Revival style. Governor Henry Fox Young took up residence on January 2, 1858. The building is located in the Queen’s Domain and features bas-relief sculpture, gargoyles, and tracery on the windows. Its most prominent Gothic features are found at the main entrance (as seen in the photograph), including a square clock tower topped by crenelated turrets, and a second tower with crenellation. The photograph was taking during a reception for the 7th Biennial International Conference of the Australian and New Zealand Association for Medieval and Early Modern Studies.
For the website see http://www.govhouse.tas.gov.au/government-house/history