Browse Items (7 total)

St David’s Anglican Cathedral, Hobart was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style. The foundation stone was laid in 1868 by Prince Alfred, the Duke of Edinburgh, and the nave was…

The main entrance to St David’s Cathedral is on Murray Street, Hobart. The cathedral was designed by English architect George Frederick Bodley (1827-1907) in 1865 in the Gothic Revival style. The foundation stone was laid in 1868 by Prince…

Holy Trinity Catholic Church is in the small Tasmanian town of Westbury. The building of the bluestone church began in 1869 under the direction of the town’s first resident Catholic priest, Father James Hogan (1825-1899), who had arrived in 1850.…

St Mary’s College is a day school for girls is located beside St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral in Hobart, Tasmania. The opening of the college was instigated by Bishop Daniel Murphy (1815-1907) in 1866 when he invited his sister Mother Superior…

The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866,…

The building of St Mary’s Catholic Cathedral, Hobart, Tasmania, was instigated by Tasmania’s first Catholic bishop, Robert William Willson (1794-1866). The building was designed by William Wardell and built between 1860 and 1866,…

St Joseph’s Catholic Church is on the corner of MacQuarie and Harrington Streets in Hobart,Tasmania. The foundation stone for the sandstone church was laid in 1840 and it was opened by Fr. John Joseph Therry (1790-1864) on Christmas day, 1841.…