Chapel, Brickendon Estate, Tasmania

Dublin Core

Title

Chapel, Brickendon Estate, Tasmania

Subject

William Archer, bell tower, Brickendon Estate, buttress, chapel, convict, farm, farm village, Gothic, Gothic Revival, Longford, pointed arch, porch, spire, stained glass, Tas, Tasmania, tower, vaulted ceiling.

Description

The small brick chapel with a shingle roof on Brickendon Estate, near Longford, is dated by its stained glass windows to the 1850s. It is in the centre of the farm village and was built for the religious observances of the farm workers and their families. It was built by William Archer (1788-1879) who had founded Brickendon in 1824. It possibly replaces an earlier chapel for convict labour. The chapel is consecrated and is still occasionally used for weddings. The chapel is in the Gothic Revival style and features a pointed arch entrance, buttresses, vaulted timber ceiling, porch, ornate timber details, and a bell tower topped by a spire.  

For information on Brickendon Estate see http://www.brickendon.com.au

Creator

McLeod, Shane

Date

September 24, 2012

Rights

Photographs taken with the permission of the Archer family.

Format

3xDigital Photograph

Still Image Item Type Metadata

Original Format

Digital Photograph; JPEG

Files

Citation

“Chapel, Brickendon Estate, Tasmania ,” Medievalism in Australian Cultural Memory, accessed October 18, 2018, http://ausmed.arts.uwa.edu.au/items/show/1080.